Saturday, November 05, 2005

True Story--What Dreams May Come


I was living in Iceland on Keflavik Naval Air Station. I was working the night shift, ten p.m. to six a.m. as a security policeman. One winter day, a day off, as I recall, I woke up from a rather vivid dream; I was engaging in a conversation about someone named Truman Capote. Awake, I didn't know who he was. I'd had dreams like this before. About people I didn't know. About books I hadn't heard of. About places I hadn't been yet, but would later visit. If you ask me, it's actually kind of creepy.

I went to the base library later that day, as I was wont to do on my days off. The name had haunted me, so I decided to look it up to see what it had to tell me. In the very first book I looked, a literary encyclopedia of sorts, I found Truman Capote. Simultaneously, over the library sound system, a song played, "And I said, "What about Breakfast at Tiffany's? And you said, ' I think I remember the film; and you said, 'I think, we both kind of liked it,' and I said, 'Well, that's the one thing we've got..." I checked out both Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood that day, although I only got time to read the former before I had to return them to the library.

I am still trying to figure it out...,what it is supposed to mean, if anything, in the long run of my life.

1 Things not left unsaid:

Calvin said...

I have little episodes like that every now and then. Yes it is weird. By the way if you are interested in Truman Capote, Philip Seymour Hoffman is playing him in "Capote" I hear it's supposed to be great. You have some great photographs on here. By the way your photograph on our profile looks like Monica Bellucci.