Sunday, September 05, 2010

Dragoncon Parade 2010

My favorite picture of the day: A Charlie Chaplin that begs for a black and white photo!

This was my first ever experience with Atlanta's Dragoncon, so I threw on my blue velvet jacket, a fedora, and some Victorian lace sleeves and felt right at home. We got there a little late, which means there was zero chance of me getting to the front of the crowds for some good photos. But I had read the quotation, "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone," on a greeting card the day before, and that gave me the audacity I needed to "Pardon me, excuse me, please" to the front of the horde to stand beside a very forgiving lady and her son. It's not my natural state-of-being to feel entitled, so it was certainly a character stretch to assume myself into the front lines. It felt good, triumphant even, as I snapped photos, and I found that many of the paraders came to the side just to pose for my camera--God love them. I felt as if these people were finally getting a day to dress on the outside how they felt on their insides. At least that's how I felt myself. Enjoy!











post signature

3 Things not left unsaid:

Candace said...

Yes. As a matter of fact, these ARE friends of mine. It's only the second of two times I have missed this event since its beginnings wayyyy back when it was not even called DragonCon...

(but you knew I was a geek, right?).
Thanks much!
Candace, Still in Athens.

Southern Girl said...

Candace, we are kindred geeks! :) Maybe I'll see you there next time around? :)

Jamie said...

Hi Girls! These are great photos. I will put it on my calendar for next year, assuming it will be in Atlanta again.