Saturday, October 02, 2010

Little Luxuries

That furrowed brow when I say "walk" or "treat"  is enough to make my heart sigh...


Another pay-day rolling around means that I've spent the day enjoying the little thrills of my beginning-of-the-month luxuries. I went to the grocery store today to buy a bottle of chilled Bohemian Highway Chardonnay, a bag of Peanut Butter dog treats, a bag of Nine Lives for the community orange tabby, and a bag of sunflower seeds for the backyard birds. (The latter of which most assuredly have felt very neglected lately.) The man in line behind me joked about the litany of animals I must have waiting for me at home. I told him that I seem to attract them...that they just know where to show up to be taken care of. I said that I enjoyed their loyal, loving natures...you need only feed them, and they're yours forever. If only people were like that, I said. He agreed.

At home, twilight descends on my little Georgia home, and the cardinal families have found their way back to the now-full feeders. I'm streaming "Frank Sinatra Radio" on Pandora, and the male cardinal takes pause, cocking his head to the side to listen to the melody of "Fly With Me." Don't be alarmed, I tell him..that's just us trying to be you...

post signature

1 Things not left unsaid:

Jane said...

Superb writing....and how fitting, "Bohemian Highway Chardonnay"... Does it come in a red? ;)