Tuesday, January 01, 2008


Funny word, "hearth." What feelings, memories, lives this word conjures up for me as I sit in my favorite chair by the fireside. My lab's dog bed lies next its warmth, and this is the place where he retreats whenever there's a rawhide involved.

The house has finally slowed, and I hear nothing but the dwindling fire-crackle, the library clock above the mantle counting off my minutes, and the occasional dog sigh. And the music, once in a while, of the wind whipping the chimes outside into a frenzy, and then they're still again.

Good night all, and bring on 2008.

P.S. Please pardon the blurry picture...I had consumed way too much caffeine that morning (4 a.m. Christmas wrapping) to maintain a steady hand. Good thing I'm not a surgeon. (: I would have had some explaining to do.

0 Things not left unsaid: